Monday, February 27, 2012

Sure looks good to me

So don’t rain on my parade
Life’s too short to waste one day.
I’m gonna risk it all, the freedom to fall
Yes it sure looks good to me
- Alicia Keys
I have finally taken the leap to do something about my unhappiness in the last few months. With respect for the fact that this is a public forum, I will simply say this: I was unhappy at my job and disagreed with a lot of the things that went on there, so I resigned.

James and I kicked the idea around for months, because it was definitely a scary thing, willingly going down to one income. I also struggled with guilt, because I know there are many people out there who would kill to just have steady paycheck. But I finally realized that me being absolutely miserable didn't affect anyone else's job status. It just put one more miserable person in the world.

Life is too short to spend any large amount of it dreading getting up in the morning. Eventually, the choice to leave became no choice at all, but the only option. I expected to work a two weeks notice, or perhaps train a new hire, but I was immediately released. That makes it so much harder on the other employees which I regret, but I was honestly relieved.

We have a very concrete plan as to how we are going to get by. I already have one interview set up, and I am glad to have the opportunity to slow down and find something that is write for me. I've also gotten a request for some sample pages from another literary agent, so I'm hoping to find representation soon. On top of all that, I'll hopefully be doing some freelance graphics as well.

So this is a very, very good thing for me. I'll miss my friends at work, but we weren't allowed to talk to each other anyway, so as long as we keep in touch, nothing should change. I'm excited for this new chapter in my life. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment