Monday, January 16, 2012

Positive Rejection

If you follow me on facebook, then you know that today I got my first response back from a publisher: pass.

You would probably consider that to be a big disappointment to me, and it probably would have been, had I not prepared myself for what an arduous journey this could possibly be. Also, the editor's friendliness and words of encouragement really helped to soften the blow.

So here's how I'm going to break it down:

Negatives:
  • Today was really not a good day for finding out this kind of news, and I did have a brief moment of wanting to curl up in a ball and cry. Had it not come on such a day, I doubt I would have had any kind of negative reaction.
  • This response came from the only publisher that I had received an actual confirmation from a human being that they were reading my manuscript. Which means I'm much more in the dark now than I was before.
  • The simple fact of having my 'baby', my brainchild, be rejected.

Positives:

  • Words from the editor [names were removed]: "Thank you for submitting your manuscript to [Publisher]. [Head Editor] thought this premise was highly intriguing and very fresh. It has a great setting and a fascinating cast of characters."
  • The reason they decided to pass was highly subjective and another publisher/editor may not have the same concerns.
  • The fact that they took the time to respond and give me feedback is a compliment in and of itself. That doesn't always happen.
  • For a first submission from an unpublished and unrepresented writer, even getting a rejection with such positive feedback is more encouraging than disparaging.
  • If it turns out I don't get any takers, the feedback lets me know that I do have something worth trying to self publish

All in all, I would consider this more success than failure. I was more freaked out by the fact that someone actually read my book, rather than the rejection itself.

This publisher actually has the shortest turn around time--8 to 12 weeks, and they got back to me at 8 weeks to the day--while most of the other publishers are anywhere from 10 to 16 weeks, which is well into March. Unfortunately, it is encouraged to wait the full amount of time before inquiring into the progress. I am still hopeful because I'll be honest and say that I have read worse books than mine.

Until next time, I'll leave you with this:

You might be in trouble
You might be running
But it's never too late to turn around
'cause as long as you're still breathing
There'll always be enough time
To make the right decision before you die, because
The choices you make might be mistakes
But it's never too late to turn around, turn around
The road that you take might lead you astray
But don't be afraid to turn around, turn around

-Jonny Lang, Turn Around

No comments:

Post a Comment