Monday, January 30, 2012

Progress

I'm sitting here watching these poor, sad women cry on the Bachelor, so this is as good a time as any to blog.

Many of you know that I made the decision a couple of weeks ago to start querying literary agents. I was nervous about the whole thing, thinking you'd have to pay them a bunch of money just to get them to try and sell your book. I did a little more research and they are just like any other type of agent, they get a percentage of the profits only if they sell your book. So that makes them motivated.

I queried four big agencies with authors on their roster that I recognized. There are thousands of agencies out there, but I decided I may as well aim high. I found one particular agent's blog when I was researching how to write a good query letter. I sent a query to the agent that was currently accepting submissions, and I got a request for the first 30 pages. It's kind of irritating because it's supposed to be double spaced--so in reality, it's only the first 15 of the manuscript. But it's still a nice chunk of the story for them to get an idea.

I follow this agent on twitter, and she posted that she gets over 200 query letters a DAY. So it's easy to fall through the cracks. This, and the feedback I've been getting from publishers, tells me that my idea, at least, is a good one. It will all come down to whether or not they like my writing.

I think I'm a good writer, but then again, it is hard to look at your own work with an objective, critical eye. And I have read published books that are far worse than mine in both premise and execution.

Most people might think that actually dreaming up the idea and the story--beginning, middle, end--is the hardest part of fiction writing. Not so for me. The story is there, along with about three others, constantly going through my head like a movie reel. The challenge for me is getting it all down on paper... er, screen, and doing it justice. Imagine trying to translate a conversation in French when you just learned the language, and the speakers are going a mile a minute. That's kind of what it's like.

Anyway, I am preparing for the worst (another rejection) and hoping for the best. If I can get an agent to back me, it opens my options up to more publishers who don't take unsolicited work. The big dogs like Bantam, Random House, Grand Central, Harper Collins, etc. So it's worth trying for.

Look forward to more excerpts this week, and a synopsis of my fabulous 30th Birthday Bash, and my first super bowl party in 9 years. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment